Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Taylor County Race for Literacy 5K


Taylor County Race for Literacy 5K
April 24, 2010
Reynolds, GA
Time: 22:27
Age Gr
oup: 1/3
Overall: 13/108
Award: Trophy

Comments: I had been looking forward to the Taylor County Race for Literacy for quite awhile. The race was quite a bit of fun last year: a simple, rural course with decent amenities and lots of running friends. I remembered the course being rather flat and fast too. A fast and friendly race sounded like just what I needed.

What I actually got, to start race morning, was an awful lot of rain. Now, I like rain. I love running in rain. What I don't love so much is lightning. As I drove the 35 miles or so to Reynolds I could see lightning illuminating the sky all over the place. It is probably a revealing look into my running character (and generally loss of mind) that I never once thought about not going to the race. In fact, I never even thought about the possibility of the race being cancelled until I turned into the soggy baseball field complex that would serve as the start/finish area for the race.

To my relief, there were already 20 people or so hiding under the small pavilion. Race director Caryl Deems was pondering the storm - and remembering that her last race (Sweetheart Run for Sight 12K) had to be postponed due to snow. We teased her about her bad luck with weather and asked if her next race would feature a plague of locusts. We discussed alternate times to hold the race but still held out hope that we could actually get the race in.

It was way after time for me to head out for my warm-up. I ultimately decided to try and get at least a short warm-up in - just in case we managed to get the race started. I began to run the course but was quickly encouraged to change my plans by more bursts of lightning. Suddenly the nice walking track at the back of the field complex seemed like a much better idea. I could warm up there and still be within a quick dash of the shelter in case things got scary. A few other runners had the same idea. As I ran the track the rain really began to pelt down. I managed a little more than a mile and then joined the other under the shelter. Caryl made the final decision that we would give the race a try.

As we headed out to the road, the weather understood our plans and miraculously calmed down. The lightning faded away, the rain mostly stopped, and (wonder of wonders) the sun blinked through the clouds. Caryl got us started and we sped past a few houses. The houses gave way to fields. There was quite a view of the sun breaking through the storm clouds visible over the big fields. Beautiful. I would have liked to enjoy the surprising scenery, but the pace of the race was leaving very little time for anything but trying to breathe.

I had broken away with the lead pack, watching the seriously fast folks head off into the horizon. I was trying to run three consistent miles right around 7 minutes even. The first mile went well - 6:57 - and then my wheels seemed to fall off. I was definitely feeling the shortness of my warm-up (and how few miles I managed to run in the last week.) I struggled to maintain a decent pace. The effort it took was incredible. I realized quickly that I had no chance to PR today despite the favorable course. I ran the best I could and tried to just hold onto my position.

I was quite happy to see the finish line come up in the distance. I crossed the line at 22:27. Not a great time for me, but certainly respectable for a day when I just didn't feel like I had it. I was amazed a few minutes later to find that I had won my age group. At first I thought there must have been a mistake made since I new Marcus Parker had finished before me. A quick check with Caryl explained everything: Marcus had won overall! I am so incredibly proud of him. He ran this race about 9 minutes faster than he did last year. That is nothing short of amazing. He has obviously been very dedicated to his training. I hope I can have as much success in the future with speed work as he has!

I enjoyed eating a small Subway sandwich while I waited for results as well as some incredible strawberries. This race is associated with the Georgia Strawberry Festival in Reynolds. Those strawberries were worth having a festival over!

A nice contingent of Macon Tracks were on hand to cheer Marcus as he picked up his first ever overall winner trophy. What an amazing achievement. He congratulated me for winning the age group, I congratulated him for removing himself from the age group with his fine run. The trophies were quite nice. We enjoyed posing with the trophies - and strawberries - as the awards ceremony finished.

I enjoyed this race as much as I had hoped. It was quite different than last year, but the camaraderie of the runners braving the elements was something special. I do enjoy spending time with runners! I'll enjoy remembering this race with the excellent t-shirt too.

No comments:

Post a Comment