Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Share the Path 5K Trail Run


Share the Path 5K Trail Run
April 3, 2010
Dublin, GA
Time: 24:41
Age Group: 1
Overall: 10
Award: Plaque

Comments: I was originally reluctant to run the Share the Path 5K trail run in Dublin. I was turning down a chance to run a 10.5K in Cordele, a distance and place I both enjoy. However, the allure of keeping up with the Macon Tracks race series - and the chance to run some trail - led me to Dublin.

However I wound up at Share the Path, I'm very glad I came. The race had a smaller turn out than I expected, probably under 100 runners for the 5K. Pre-race was well-organized: helpful volunteers, indoor bathrooms, even a course map. I was glad to see the map too. The path drawn on it looked like we were starting in a whirlpool. I quickly figured out that we would be making nearly 3 laps of a field before entering the woods for two loops of those trails finishing back on the field where we started. Sound confusing? It did to me too, but it made a lot more sense while running.

The weather was slightly overcast with comfortable temperatures. Spring has apparently arrived for good. The only drawback was a strange green cloud that seemed to hang in the air. With spring had come the pine pollen. Fun, fun, fun.

We started out the race on the edge of the starting field. After a few announcements and clarifications on the course, we shared a prayer in recognition of Easter. An airhorn started us on our way - a one-point start that took several people by surprise.

I was starting on the front line again. Yes, it still feels weird. I realized that I was in the middle of the front row and that I needed to get to the inside as quickly as possible to minimize the distance of the three starting loops. I decided to go out a little faster than usual to make sure I got inside position. To my amusement, I found myself leading the race for nearly a lap. I was relieved when young John Harvey, the eventual winner, passed me. My preparations in studying the course came in handy - I managed to keep several people on course. I understand the need to spread people out before hitting the trails, but I'm sure the 2 3/4 laps confused many people. Some, I'm sure, missed a lap out of the confusion. Perhaps a bigger circle run fewer times next year might help?

I really liked the course. Many runners fear trail. There was nothing here for a road runner to fear. The trails were wide, more like a dirt road than trail. The course led across the track and soccer field at Trinity Christian School, curved through the edge of campus, and launched back into the woods. Roots and holes were clearly marked with orange paint. Really the only difficulty in the trails came with the loosely packed dirt. There were some hills, and the soft dirt made those more challenging.

I ran fairly well but paid the price both for my silliness in leading the race early and for my double race the day before. Andi and Jerome passed me on the trails, looking strong. Jerome teased me about making him fall. Apparently he was stepping where I stepped and was slipping in places where I was running hard in banked turns. I told him that was one of many reasons why I never should be in front of anyone in a race!

I enjoyed the woods and small lake on the second lap. It was pleasant hearing the praise and worship band playing at the finish line throughout the race, quite different from the quiet trail runs often provided. I came across the finish line in the same time (roughly) as yesterday's trail run. Well, at least I'm consistent!

The only negative of this delightful little race was the long wait for awards. It was creeping up on 2 hourse after the race start before awards were handed out. Many of the runners had already headed home. The small crowd that remained warmly applauded all of the prize winners. I liked how the organizers went down to 5th place with awards in 2 particularly crowded age groups. That was a nice idea to have a few 4th and 5th place awards and then determine which age group needed deeper recognition. I was pleased to take 1st place in my age group and receive an attractive plaque afeaturing a Bible verse and the three crosses.

I hope this race is run again next year. With a little fine tuning and more word-of-mouth this coud be a hidden gem of a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment