Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Al Toll Memorial 5K


Al Toll Memorial 5K
February 20, 2010
Macon, GA
Time: 22:10
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 17/141

Comments: After running around like a madman for a couple of hours as the pseudo-race director of Al Toll, I was less than sure of my running abilities for the day. Still, after dealing with the mystery of the missing packets, the race seemed like it would be cathartic if nothing else. Besides, I love this course.

I ran well up the mile-long first hill paced by Jeremy Bullard, one of my students. He fell back halfway up the hill and I pressed on. I kept a good pace up the hill and caught Danny Dorminy on the flat. I managed to recover rather well before coming to the screaming downhill finish - right back from whence we came. I kept a 6:49 pace going on the last mile and enjoyed a nice sprint to the finish with Danny and John Stack. Danny schooled me, but I did manage to finish in front of John.

The result: a PR on one of my favorite courses. It's a bit bittersweet since I will probably be running the 15K from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment