Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Good Friday Races

Good Friday Races
April 2, 2010
Eatonton, GA


Good Friday Races 5K
Time: 24:41
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 11/57

Comments: Yet another one of the nutty Ryles and Keel holiday races. I remembered the course from last year visiting many hilly roads through the middle of the enormous Rock Eagle 4-H Center. I wisely prepared better for the course this year. As usual, I found out that Bo had changed things up. The surprise for this year: now it was a trail course.

I hadn't brought my trail shoes, but the Rock Eagle trails looked pretty well manicured. No problem for road shoes, I hoped. The pre-race instructions were the usual Bo entertainment. He tried to describe the turns of the course ultimately convincing us that we would be lost until 4-H staff members could track us down on Monday. I wasn't worried - I'm good at getting lost and found on trail courses.

We started off in grand fashion, sent on our way by Will Chamberlin. It was great to see him back after his recent stroke. I told the people around me that I was going to lead a race for once in my life and sprinted into first position. I happily ran there for about three steps before dropping back to my rightful place. There was much laughter and camaraderie from the runners - the usual great support from fellow points hounds. We ran on roads until we reached an untidy pile of candy Easter eggs - our signal to turn onto trail. A concrete path led to an endless series of wooden steps and boardwalk heading down to a dirt trail. The trail was wide and fairly clear but certainly had its share of roots. Nothing too technical, thankfully. A few of the hills certainly got my attention.

The stairs were even less fun going back up. I managed to survive them without falling and rejoined the pat. On the way out of the woods I stopped and picked up one of the Easter eggs - as per Bo's inctructions at the start. I ran well to the finish, trying to sprint past the man right in front of me. We had a spirited race to the finish line. He won, but I certainly made him work for it. We shook hands after the finish and had a laugh about our race.

The usual bare necessities available: water, bananas, and some amazing cookie bars. Few prizes - easter lillies for the winners, bunnies for the masters - but no more were needed. All the points hounds need are good running friends, a place to run, and (of course) Run & See Georgia points.



Good Friday Races 11K
Time: 54:31
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 7/57

Comments: This race had most of the same people from the 5K stepping back out on the road to take on 11K more fun. The 11K was to be entirely on roads, but roads that featured an inordinate number of hills. I remembered the hills well from last year.

The race itself was pretty non-descript. I enjoyed the views of the lake and other areas of the park. I wished, just like last year, that the path went right up to the famous effigy. I still have not been able to see the eponymous rock eagle outside of photographs.

Cheryl Vail and I ran most of the second half of the race leap frogging each other. I can always recognize her footsteps coming up behind me - largely because of her very quick turnover. Today I was a little bit quicker (or, more likely, she realized that she was first female overall without anyone else anywhere close to her!) I was amused to take around 12 minutes off of my time from last year. I was 7th overall yet still finished 3rd in my age group. The ol' 35-39 group has been downright competitive this year. It's enough to make turning 40 look good!

As always, a fun morning of running with a great group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment