Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sweetheart Run for Sight 12K


Sweetheart Run for Sight 12K
March 20, 2010
Centerville, GA
Time: 53:17
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 13/118
Award: Trophy

Comments: Snow postponed the usual February running of the Sweetheart Run for Sight 12K. Having a Sweetheart race right after St. Patrick's Day was unusual, but I'm glad they decided to reschedule.

I always seem to run the Centerville Galleria Mall courses well. The Sweetheart 12K specializes in constant turns - including an interesting figure-8 where you expect to see yourself coming back the other way!

The weather was absolutely perfect. I was ready for a great race as were many other runners. I set up right at the front of the group. It feels strange to be starting so near the front, but few people have been passing me when I start there. I guess that's where I'm supposed to be these days.

Caryl Deems, the race director, told us that their timer did not show up. Oops. Just a minor problem - no clock and no timed results. She asked everyone to try to glance at their watches coming across. Luckily Sam Martinez had a timing unit in his car which helped out a lot. The race started quickly, right on time.

I went out at a decent clip but fell immediately into pace. I was chasing the usual folks, was passed by Jacqueline as usual, and was generally having a great time. I really like the course. It's rather flat with just enough elevation change to keep the muscle groups happy. There was plenty of water and powerade on course. The traffic control seemed a little better this year too.

I had a nice run with David Dark for awhile before he zoomed on ahead. I managed to pass some of my rabbits too. I was dreading the final run back along Gunn Road. Gunn is fine when we head out - no traffic. On the return it is crowded, dangerous, and full of carbon monoxide. Fun. Thankfully I did not have to pass any of the 5Kers this year. Still, it's hard to concentrate on your finishing kick when cars are zooming by all of the time.

Jeremy Bullard had walked back along the course to run me in. He had a great run in the 5K - took another minute off of his time. I picked up the pace as we turned into the parking lot. I told him that this was going to be a PR for me, the only question was how big.

Actually, very big. I came across the line at 53:16. This was 3 minutes faster than my GEICO PR from a few weeks back. I will probably count this PR, but the course is really short. 3/10s is a big deal. Still, I would have had a healthy PR even if the course was the proper length. I took 10 minutes off my time on the same course last year. That is the most impressive result to me!

I also managed to sneak into 3rd place for my age groups. Tommy Union III ran the 5K to make this possible. I should send him a thank you card...

This race has okay after-race food but only water to drink. The shirt was a real disappointment this year. It was identical to 2009. Not even the 2010 date. And people wonder why I like the no t-shirt option so much!

I enjoyed the award ceremony held in the edge of the mall. I collected my trophy and cheered on my many friends who picked up hardware of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment