Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Peach Stand Road Race 5K

Peach Stand Road Race 10K

May 29, 2010
Locust Grove, GA
Time: 22:44
Age Gr
oup: 4/9
Overall: 10/163+

Comments: The Peach Stand Road Race has become an annual tradition for me. This is unusual since the race is not part of Run & See Georgia or the Macon Tracks series. It is located within a convenient drive of Macon and is scheduled for the Saturday before Memorial Day. I have run the race the last two years and have been impressed by the size of the field (especially with the limited publicity I see for the race), amenities, awards, and course.

I found things much the same this year. The race is held (shockingly enough) near a roadside peach stand. Portions of the set-up are on either side of a fairly busy road with the race start itself on the other side of a busy train track. This set-up makes for some tricky pedestrian antics. Thankfully a police officer stops traffic to allow people to cross the road. The train tracks are another story!

As usual packet pick-up was well-organized with superb goody bags. In previous races they had used lightweight backpacks. This year the bag was a sturdy canvas tote bag - very nice quality, especially for a giveaway. The logo for the race this year was very striking online but did not make the transition to the shirts as well as last year. Still, the shirts were bright and colorful.

The race stays completely on one side of the busy road and train tracks so no difficult crossing there. I chatted with Tony Edmondson as we walked to the start. He was teasing a few of the younger runners in the front, asking them what he could do to throw them off their pace. Tony always seems to challenge for the lead these days. He and I discussed the weather for the race which was humid but with a light breeze that made it bearable. We both hoped a light rain would break out. It never did.

We were led in warm-ups by a woman who tried to shame us all into taking part. I appreciate her enthusiasm, but I know from experience that a person can harm themselves just as much by doing a stretch they are unfamiliar with as not stretching at all. I wish more races would consider this. Thankfully she did not do anything too outlandish (which some races do). I did my own warm-up, not wanting to be impolite but refusing to do break my routine as well. After brief race announcements (no mayor this year) we were off.

I started very close to the front this year, aiming for a top-10 finish. The field was pretty large - more than 150 - but I thought I could hang in the front of the pack. The course itself was the same - nondescript back roads, a glimpse of the Locust Grove convention center, and a return back to the start. The middle mile is rather hilly, but I was ready for it. I was still not able to hold my pace where I wanted, but I never felt like I was overexerting. I held my position to the line finishing in 10th place overall.

The race has a nice results board in a shady area near the peach stand. I turned in my card and was pleased to see myself in 3rd place in my age group. However, I noticed that an earlier finisher had still not turned in his card. This flashed me back to last year when I also thought I was in 3rd place until another card was turned in, knocking me out of the medals. Sure enough, more than 20 minutes after his finish, the runner brought his card back. What a shock - he was in my age group. I just smiled wryly and walked away. I got the place I deserved, but I am starting to develop a pet peeve about people who take so long to fill out finish line cards. Missing the card was driving the volunteers working the board crazy. They were relieved to finally get it turned in. For goodness sakes, be kind to race organizers (and your fellow runners) and turn in your card promptly. There is plenty of time to cool down afterwards.

The awards looked quite nice as usual - custom made medals in gold, silver, and bronze featuring the new race logo. While I did not add one to my collection, I did pause for a moment to add a delicious slice of orange-cranberry cake to my stomach. The finish line food was as good as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment