Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Butler Toyota Run for the Heart 10K


Butler Toyota Run for the Heart 10K

May 22, 2010
Macon, GA
Time: 48:33
Age Gr
oup: 4/8
Overall: 25/81

Comments:The Butler Toyota Run for Your Heart sounded like a good new addition to the Macon running scene. It was being developed with help from people from the Macon Tracks, it seemed to have good sponsorship, and it was a Run & See and Tracks points race. I was glad to change my plans from driving to Covington to staying home and running a race with local friends.

The course looked interesting from the first time I saw a map weeks ago. The plan originally was to start at the "new" mall (the Shoppes at River Crossing - what a terribly pretentious name), run up to the "Al Toll" hill, take a tour of the property surrounding the Bass Pro Shops complex, and come back to the start. Unfortunately, the mall management decided to pull their support from the race a few days before it was to start. Their reasoning? Runners were nasty people and would probably pee on their precious parking lot. Unreal. Of course, they only made this decision after they got tons of publicity for their sponsorship of the race. At the last minute the organizers had to shift the race start to an unfinished parking lot off to the side of the mall. It was certainly not the most charming of starting places, but the organizers made it work. I made sure to run my warm-up miles in the parking lot of the mall. I was watched by security constantly. I was tempted to run up to a tree and pretend to take care of some bladder-related business, but decided the security detail had probably been instructed to "shoot to kill" in any such circumstances. I am still ticked off at the mall's decision, as are many people in the running community.

The race turned out very well despite the mall mismanagement. The parking lot may not have been finished, but it was quite decorative with the Macon Tracks finish line scaffold and downright festive with a DJ playing an endless assortment of 80s songs - many of which I had not heard in years. What a treat for me! The race also featured bib timing chips, so no finish line cards. I had thought the race was a bit overpriced originally, but seeing that it was chip-timed explained the higher price. I know the expense that sort of timing can add to a race.

The race started off well. I did not start as near the line as usual, planning to hold back a bit and not go out too fast. I did not think a PR was possible with the ultra-muggy conditions and hilly course, but I wanted to run as well as possible.

I enjoyed the course. Traffic was well-controlled. The course was not well-marked, but the police and other support personnel did a good job of keeping us on course. I knew we would hit some hills, knowing good and well just how fun the Al Toll hill is. What I did not realize was how hilly the Bass Pro Shops property is - and how long the road is that runs through it.

I was passed by several of my running friends throughout the race. I fought the urge to run off with them, sticking to my plan of an easier, controlled run. I did choose a gentleman who had passed me earlier the race to follow. I hoped to run him down before we reached the finish. I suspected he might be in my age group, but the real fun was just to have someone to chase. It really makes the miles go easier.
I caught my "rabbit" just as we were turning behind the mall. I continued picking up the pace until I was flying toward the finish line. The downhill finish helped my efforts and I crossed the line in a respectable 48:33 - less than a minute off my PR. My Garmin (if it can be believed) said I was running a sub-5 minute mile pace at the finish. Even for that short a distance, that's an impressive feat for my short legs.
I didn't place in this race, but still enjoyed myself greatly. Several of my students (and former students) ran the 5K and one, Jeremy Bullard, ran the 10K. I ran back out after catching my breath to pace Bullard in. He PRed with very little training under difficult conditions. I have a feeling I'll be chasing him before too long.

The awards were metal water bottles, not my favorite type of award but nicely done any way. Refreshments were more than adequate. The race shirt was covered with text with very little artwork but made up for this some by being made of technical fabric. Results were quick, although I am still confused a bit by the difference between gun and chip time. Some people who started right on the line were credited with taking many seconds to get across the line. This timing oddity seemed to be consistently applied to all, so no harm done. [The timing has since been corrected on the results. ]

This was a nicely done first-time race - especially considering the big changes the organizers had to make a few days before the race started. Congratulations to the race staff. Well done - and good luck with plans for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment