Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Old Capitol City Classic 5K


Old Capitol City Classic 5K
May 15, 2010
Milledgeville, GA
Time: 23:04
Age Gr
oup: 2/12
Overall: 23/121

Comments:This was a very nicely organized race. Good facilities at a hospital (and handy if the run gets to be a little too much for you.) The Old Capitol City 5K also boasted an excellent t-shirt and lots of volunteers.

The course was rather wacky: it started on the road outside of the hospital campus, then turned into the hospital seemingly just to explore the brutal little hills that lined the parking lot. We then shot out the other side, ran an out and back along another road, returned back through a hospital drop-off area, and finished on the far side of the parking lot.

I had a run similar to my last efforts: decent first mile followed by difficult slogs through the humidity for the next two miles. I enjoyed running with Tom Weitzel for the first part of the race then pacing Jacqueline Hunsicker at the end. I was thrilled to find that she was in the lead for women's overall. I encouraged her along and was delighted to see her finish in a strong first place. It's good to see her coming off some nagging injuries to run so well.

She was rewarded with one of the best looking awards ever: a handsome, homemade plate. I was very impressed with the earthenware-style plate. I was overjoyed when I realized that my second place age group finish would get me a smaller version of the plate. Very nice indeed. I liked how the plates got progressively smaller for each level of award. The overalls got a large dinner plate, 1st place age groups a regular dinner plate, 2nd place a salad plate, 3rd place a desert plate. If you had a bunch of friends running you could have put together an entire place setting. Really beautiful work was done on those awards, very classy touch to a nice race. I will return to this one if possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment