Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Monday, May 31, 2010

Kiwanis Memorial Day Running Celebration


Kiwanis Memorial Day Running Celebration
(8K - 5K - 5K)

Kiwanis Memorial Day 8K
May 31, 2010
Cordele, GA
Time: 38:33
Age Gr
oup: 3
Overall: 17
Award: Finisher's Medal & Award Medal

Comments: The Cordele Kiwanis Memorial Day 8K was set to become my first 4-time race in Georgia. The pleasure I took from this race right as I started running again is a big reason why I got back into the sport so much. I always look forward to going back.

This year brought some changes to the race. Roadwork on part of the certified course forced organizers to use a completely different, uncertified course just for this year. Also, two 5Ks were added to the offerings. These races were to be no thrills (i.e. no awards) races just for points hounds. I (of course) planned to run all three.

The Kiwanis club always does a nice job with this race. Good indoor facilities are available, packet pickup is well-organized, and there is always a nice display of results and pictures from previous years. I had forgotten to pre-register this year so paid what felt like an expensive $50 for all three races. I knew the money would be going to a good cause with Kiwanis so considered it a donation to their community efforts.

The race start was the same as previous years - on the road right beside a school carpool drop-off area. I could tell just standing at the starting line that this was going to be a painful race. The humidity was sky high and felt like it was still getting worse. The surly outline of the first hill was visible off in the distance. I wanted to run a respectable race, but a PR looked like a lost cause from the beginning.

The new course was a surprise - in both good and bad ways. I actually think it was more interesting than the usual jaunt beside I-75. We ran through residential neighborhoods, by small lakes, and other interesting sites. Not as much carbon monoxide either - a huge improvement there! On the not-so-good side: more hills. Now, I like a good hill, but the combination of constant hills (none very bad, just no end to them it seemed) and the oppressive humidity was painful indeed. I was aware of my shoes filling up with sweat. It felt as if I had run through a creek they were so wet. Fun.

The course was an out-and-back so we took some relief in the thought of seeing many of those hills from a downward perspective. I grabbed water at the only aid station which was positioned rather late in the race - to be available for the 5K I suspected. On such a humid day the organizers may should have considered a second water stop earlier on.

I powered through the final miles, thankful that I had saved some energy back for the uphill finish. It was rather grueling despite my preparations. I was grateful to cross the line in a respectable 38:34. I was also thrilled to see that the race had once again provided dogtags to all finishers. Simple finisher awards like these are such a nice touch to a race, especially when the runners had to work so hard for a finish in the humid conditions.

I staggered to the refreshment table and grabbed some water and diet cola as I tried to get my hydration balanced out before the next race began.

I was not around for the awards -- I was running the second 5K -- but the organizers held my award for me. I was pleased to take third place and get a winged-foot medal to match my one from last year.


Kiwanis Memorial Day 5K - #1
May 31, 2010
Cordele, GA
Time: 25:58
Age Gr
oup: ?
Overall: ?

Comments: A group of hardy runners turned out to run another race in the humid conditions. I planned to take it easy for this race, maybe even to walk. This one was only about the Run & See Georgia points.

Or so I thought.

After the start I noticed Susie Dorminy running not far in front me. Susie is an 8-year-old from quite a running family. I have enjoyed running with her older brothers Danny and Tommy in many races. I have been impressed by her dedication and control in running races at such a young age. Susie had not run the 8K to save up strength for the 5K. I ran beside her and found out that she had a goal for today: to win women's overall. I loved hearing her say that and wanted to help. So, I joined another runner in pacing Susie and giving her encouragement. My goodness I wish I could run like that in elementary school! Susie kept a strong pace and gradually managed to pass every other woman in the field. I loved every minute of running into the finish line just in front of her, cheering her on. Wow, an overall win at age 8! It's really a pity that this was a non-award race. I would have loved to see her get a serious trophy for her work today.

I also appreciate Susie for turning a dull race into an exciting run. I still don't know how I placed, but I enjoyed myself greatly.


Kiwanis Memorial Day 5K - #2
May 31, 2010
Cordele, GA
Time: 28:10
Age Gr
oup: ?
Overall: 8

Comments: On the other hand, this race really was all about the points. I ran the whole thing, took my time, and was alive at the finish. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment