Welcome to Tighurt Running -- a running club with only one member!

My name is R. Andrew Strickland. I am a recreational runner who LOVES running races -- although I only win the occasional age group award.

The name Tighurt is derived from the words I used to say always before going out running: This Is Gonna HURT

The phrase was never meant as a complaint -- merely a mantra to keep me amused before I went out and tested my physical and mental endurance!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Macon Exchange Club Georgia State Fair 5K


Macon Exchange Club Georgia State Fair 5K
May 8, 2010
Macon, GA
Time: 22:42
Age Gr
oup: 3/6
Overall: 21/143

Comments:This was another slightly grumpy race for me. I really wanted to be defending by trophies from the Brentwood races last year. Instead I found myself running a new race in Macon. I always like to support hometown races when possible, but I'm enough of a points hound to like getting Run & See points for it too. Still, I needed to try and hold onto my lead in the Macon Tracks series races so the Exchange Club Georgia State Fair 5K was a must do.

The course was continually being changed over the last week as flooding made parts of the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail un-runnable. The organizers decided to do an interesting combination of the trail, turning back before the flooded section, and making up the extra distance around the dirt track in Central City Park. Having run numerous races both on the trail and in the park, the path was well-known to me. It didn't seem like it would be the most interesting race in the world, but at least it wouldn't have traffic. That's always a plus. The pre-race organization seemed fine. I arrived as packet pick-up was still being set up. I picked up my packet and shirt and was quite amused at the color scheme on the shirt. I have long commented on the loud, unusual colors of the Georgia State Fair posters. This colorful trend was continued on the shirts for the race. Unusual though the colors were, I liked the shirt. It certainly is striking, to say the least. The race packet included a free ticket to the fair. Nice touch.

I spent a few minutes helping Sam Martinez and some other Tracks set up the new finish line scaffolding. It does look quite impressive. It makes any race seem like an event, that's for sure. When race time came around we were still a little confused about the changes in the course. We learned that we were going to be crossing on the narrow pedestrian portion of the bridge that leads to the far portion of the Heritage Trail, running down the hill, then turning around and pretending to be salmon swimming upstream as we ran against the other runners. It sounded slightly dangerous and completely pointless.

Both observations turned out to be correct. As the race started I headed out at a decent pace but again felt the humidity crushing me. I kept up a good pace and survived the annoying narrow bridge crossing and return. I understood that the course needed to be changed to avoid the mess further down, but I could not figure out why they did not turn us around before the bridge and simply use more of the mile-long track in Central City to complete the distance. It would have been safer (and faster too!) I did enjoy the section on the dirt track and the finish along the same route that the Labor Day Road Race finishes on.

I did not run particularly well over the last two miles, but did manage to take 3rd place in my age group. The trophies were excellent from this race - large, brightly colored, and quite attractive. This was a first year race and felt like it , but the organizers seem to have their hearts in the right place. They were quick to ask for feedback and want to grow the race into something special. I hope they succeed. They have a solid first race to build from.

No comments:

Post a Comment